Welcome to the official Webpage of the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture Development (MOAD), Nepal. Agriculture is the major sector of Nepalese economy. It provides employment opportunities to 66 percent of the total population and contributes about 34.7 percent in the GDP.( Economic Survey: 069/70) Therefore, the development of agriculture sector is key for the development of national economy. The DOA bears overall responsibility for the agricultural growth and development of agriculture sector.Agriculture sector still has got prime role to play in Nepalese economy. This sector has offered employment to 66 per cent of the economically active population, 34.7 percent contribution is made to the GDP with 13 percent of the total foreign trade of the country. Keeping in view of the contribution, the agriculture sector was given priority for its development from the onset of the periodic plans till the Eighth Five Year Plan.
In view of, the high population growth, limited land, growing poverty, environmental imbalance, involvement of private and non-government organizations, decentralization and competitiveness and economic liberalization in international arena, the broad objective of this department has been to support and help achieve food security and poverty alleviation by the transformation of agriculture through diversification and commercialization
- To increse agricultural production based on geographical diversity.
- To support food security by increasing food production and maintained the internal supply of food stuffs.
- To increase the production and productivity of raw material for the agro-industries.
- To support the produces those have comprative advantages appropriate market management.
- To increase the availability of off-farm employment by supporting small industries and enterprises.
- To support export promotion and import substitution of agriculture.
- To support export poverty alleviation by increasing the opportunity employment for small, marginal and women farmers.
- To screen and standardize the technologies by doing adoptive rese.
- To strike balance between agricultural development and conservation.